WHAT RESOURCES ARE PROVIDED?
When you register your school or classroom to participate in the Day of Mourning BC Schools Project you have the option to:
- Receive a full package of materials by mail. Unfortunately, we are unable to ship only some of the items. This package includes:
- Project Description
- Info Card for Teachers ENGLISH or FRENCH
- 2019 Fact Sheet ENGLISH or FRENCH
- Postcard for Students ENGLISH or FRENCH
- PA Announcement Scripts for Students ENGLISH or FRENCH
- Principals Script ENGLISH or FRENCH
- Young Worker Safety Lesson ENGLISH or FRENCH
- Getting a Job Booklet ENGLISH or FRENCH
- Getting a Job Quiz and Answers ENGLISH or FRENCH
- Find the Hazards Handouts: 4 scenarios
- Poster 11” x 17” ENGLISH or FRENCH
- How to Refuse Unsafe Work Lesson
- Group Role Play Scenarios
- Day of Mourning decals (by mail only)
- Wallet Cards (by mail only)
- Alive After 5 booklets (by mail only)
These items are available for download only:
- Matthew Bowcott Story Video
- Matthew Bowcott Video Questions
- Ron Stickman Young Worker Video
- Ron Stickman Video Facilitator’s Guide
- Hey Kids! WorkSafe BC Booklet for Elementary Students
- Download all items and print/copy for yourself.
WHY DO I NEED TO REGISTER?
By registering you help us keep track of the number of schools and students who are being reached by the project. It also allows us to assess the project for future years.
Prizes! You need to register to be eligible for prizes.
CAN I ORDER ONLY CERTAIN ITEMS?
Unfortunately, the material packages are pre-collated, and we are unable to send only certain items. You can download most of the items if you prefer to print and copy for yourself.
WHEN WILL MY PACKAGE ARRIVE?
We will begin mailing packages after Spring Break. The sooner you register, the better, especially if your school is located in a more remote area.
WHY SHOULD I PARTICIPATE?
Many students and young people lack knowledge of the dangers of work and their rights as workers. They are the most vulnerable group in the workforce as they are statistically more likely to suffer injury or death at the workplace.
- Workers in BC can enter the workplace as young as 12 years of age.
- In BC, an average of 27 young workers have time-loss injuries every day.
- Every week, seven young workers are permanently disabled in BC.
The Day of Mourning BC Schools Project is a partnership of the BC Federation of Labour, BC Labour Heritage Centre, BC Principals’ and Vice-Principals’ Association, BC School Trustees’ Association, BC Teachers’ Federation, CUPE BC and WorkSafe BC.
- encourage schools to participate in the Day of Mourning
- make students and young workers aware of their rights in the workplace
- reduce the number of deaths and injuries amongst young workers
IS THERE AN OBSERVANCE OF THE DAY OF MOURNING IN MY COMMUNITY?
Check this website to see if there is an event in your community: